History of the Academy of Mary Immaculate
The Academy is dedicated in a special way to Mary, the Mother of God, under her title "the Immaculate Conception". Another scriptural title of the Blessed Virgin Mary "Speculum Sine Macula" - "Mirror without Blemish" - is incorporated in the Academy badge which was designed, in the school colours of blue and white.
The Cross - above the shield symbolizes FAITH
The Book - Symbolizes KNOWLEDGE
The Wattle - love of HOME and COUNTRY
The early history of the Academy is also reflected in the names of the four school "houses" - McAuley, Goold, Frayne and Sherlock.
|McAuley (Green) - Mother M Catherine McAuley - foundress of the Sisters of Mercy|
|Goold (Blue) - Archbishop Goold who brought the first Sisters of Mercy to Melbourne.|
|Frayne (Red) - Mother M Ursula Frayne - the first Sister of Mercy in Australia|
|Sherlock (Gold) - Mother Mary Joseph Sherlock - companion of Mother Ursula Frayne|
|1857 April 20th||Opening of a school for young ladies.|
|1858 June||Foundation stone of a new boarding and day school laid.|
|1860||"House of Mercy" established in Kennedy Cottage (now used as the Administration centre).|
|1863||The College comprised 3 sections: Boarding and day school for young
Middle school for children of humbler means
An infant school
|1869-81||Palmer Street Building erected.|
|1885||Mother Ursula Frayne died.|
|1889||Memorial Chapel completed. Mother Ursula Frayne's body re-interred in the Chapel.|
|1907||Golden Jubilee - Academy Badge designed.|
|And more recently...|
|1954/55||4 Classrooms built on north site (now used as Art rooms), "N" block.|
|1966/67||Hall - Science rooms built as extension to 1955 building|
|1971||Boarding School closes 1972/73 "E" Block built - classrooms|
|1986||Junior School located in St George's Primary School Pelham Street, Carlton|
|1988/89||Administration Block refurbished|
|1990||Lecture Theatre installed at back of Hall.|
|1991||"E" Block extended|
|1992||Library renovated in Palmer Street Building Motto "Live the Truth" accepted as a modern version of the scriptual title "Speculum Fine Macula".|
|1994||Science Area in "N" block fully renovated.|
|1995/96||Performing Arts Complex constructed. Junior school re-located from Pelham Street Carlton to the Nicholson Street Campus.|
|1999||Arts Rooms Refurbished. Fibre Optic LAN installed throughout College.|
|2001-02||College Network expanded.
Palmer Street Building Refurbished, including establishment of IT facilities.
Careers Centre Refurbished
|2005||East Building Refurbished|
|2006||Murray Room Refurbished.
Chapel Courtyard remodelled.
10 Year Masterplan commenced
|2009-10||Home Economics Room Refurbished|